Skip to main content

Let them eat....I mean "PLAY" in dirt....

I love that my little boy loves to go outside and play! It's probably my favorite characteristic development he's had, other than feeding himself, walking, talking.... Yeah, I have a lot of favorites.

My favorite memories growing up are from being outside exploring or just being in nature. And being able to share that with my son is amazing, I don't have to really take him anywhere unless I really want to. We have a great backyard that we are slowly, but surely making into our own oasis.

So far we have put in a sandbox (which the little monkey adores)  and a small pallet garden bed. We've got strawberry plants, a couple of tomatoes, a jalapeno plant, rosemary, two different lettuce plants, and my chives just started sprouting!!




If anyone knows the book "If You Give A Mouse a Cookie", you will have a thorough understanding of my daily struggle to keep my garden from being pick and eaten bit by bit. If you give a toddler access to your garden, he will try to eat every fruit and vegetable no matter how ripe or unripe it may be. 

#Truth

Mr. A man tried to eat both that green baby tomato (may it rest in peace) and that green baby strawberry.

Does that make it almost cannibalism? A baby eating baby plants? Or is that just baby food?

At least I crack myself up.



And I honestly LOVE mud! And the sand from the sandbox.

Need a quick and cheap and not real pedicure? Go put your feet in your kids sandbox and then squish your toes in some good clay mud. It's very therapeutic. #NoSarcasm 

Of course almost every little boy and girl I have ever met get so excited at the chance to play in the dirt. It's totally worth it to let them. Like 4 to 5 hour nap worth it.... 




This is immediately after he told me, "No mama! No picture!"

So I will leave my little bit of a rant at the end of my post. I just wanted to say something profound about how letting our children be outside and play in the dirt and grass gives them some sort of benefit for later in life, but I have no real standing for that. I will say though, that I know my son and I are both in better attitudes and have better days when we spend at least an hour outside doing something, rather than cooped up inside with the TV constantly on.

Being outside also allows me to help teach my son about chores and responsibilities. He LOVES the garden we've started, the dirt, the plants, all of it! And he jumps to help me when asked. Mr. A is only 21 months old, but already he wants to be responsible. He loves praise and he seeks out ways to earn it, so why not give him ways to earn it? Yes he may get a little out of hand, but he understands when I'm upset with him and all I have to do is use my "mom tone" and he will stop. But he respects me and he loves me as I do him, and that respect that we are building now will be essential to our relationship later on.

So let them play in the dirt and watch you work, and then let them help you when they show an interest. Little things like bringing a bucket or letting them water, can mean the world to them because they are doing something they see you doing! And who else is their hero right now? Other than their parents? No one. So be generous with the mud bath and the dirt cakes, it will all wash away in the laundry.

Comments